1Am - May As Well Do Some Sewing....
0 comment Thursday, July 3, 2014 |
Yes, I know, I'm completely mad...
Sprog has been having a bit of toileting trouble at night (it's to be expected that autistic children can "relapse" from time to time, but I was rather hoping it wouldn't be this way!), and so after getting up, changing bedsheets and cleaning up the sprog to tuck him back in, I find myself wide awake. Sigh. Rather than try to force going back to sleep, tossing and turning, I decided to take my new sewing machine for a spin as sprog has some new trousers I need to hem up.
Now I've never done blind-hemming, but my sewing machine has a stitch for it. It took a few tries to get the general gist, and it doesn't look 100% perfect but, wow is this going to be handy! I've got enough trousers here to perfect my technique however; I tend to buy sprog's clothing rather largeish as he grows so quickly, it's pointless to buy him anything just the "right" size; the shirts I bought a month ago for 6-7 are already too small, so I went up to 9-10, which is a bit too long, but experience tells me that will change!
In addition to my new discovery on blind hems, I've started sewing the muslin cloths I intend on selling at Hathor's Bath. I love using muslin cloths to clean my face, and when I had these in they sold very well! The only problem is they just seemed to expensive, and buying them was pricy. Now, with my sewing machine I can offer these cloths for a little bit less, and convert more people to using these beautiful cloths to make their skin glow.
I have also toyed with adding a new aspect to my shop; embroidered tea towels. I'm teaching myself how to do embroidery and while I think it's going to take a few tries, I'm not doing too badly. I experimented with a rose design for my son, using various stitches and techniques on some leftover cross-stitch fabric, but I've realised it's just the wrong fabric, so taking it apart and trying it for real on real linen fabric; linen is so under-valued as a fabric and I've managed to get ahold of the real deal from Ireland for a very good price.
However, with all this new-found delight in sewing I'm discovering the frustration of a definite lack of decent lighting (all overhead light here which doesn't quite cut it), not to mention my office room chair is so uncomfortable I'm only able to sew about a half hour at a time. So, even though I've just done a set of trousers, my back is howling at me so loudly I'm going to call it a night. But then, it IS a rather silly hour, so getting back to bed is probably the wisest course...

Labels: